Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Taking the Puppies for a Walk

I decided to take the puppies for a walk (they are forever puppies) by
myself. "T" had banged up his knee pretty bad earlier in the day. Roxie and Link are 2 mini-longed hair dauchshounds. Roxie was going KA-RAZY when she saw the leash. She was hopping, bouncing, throwing her head back, crying. "Take me, Take me, Take me!" Link realized something was going on and joined in the excitement, although he was clueless. Armed with two plastic bags, sneakers on and dogs leashed up and ready to go we sent out for what I hoped to be at least a mile walk.

Didn't even get out of the driveway and Roxie dug her heals in. Didn't
want to move. I figured out if *I* run backwards she'll move too. This can be fun to watch since I have difficulty walking a straight line facing forward. A boy came out of the house 2 houses down from us, just before the hill/bend in the road, and they both barked LOUDLY. Scared the kid. I told him it's ok they're on a
leash. He realized that eventually but was really shookened up. Less
than 22 pounds combined of fierce fury, granted their bark can be intimidating. Finally calmed the dogs down explaining they don't own the road. They settled down and we started on our walk again. Of course each dog wants to go in their own direction. If they decide to walk together they cross leads. I'm just about to head up the hill and Roxie breaks free of her leash. She crouched down until I picked her up. Thank goodness it was her and not Link. He would have seized the moment. Those tiny legs can MOVE. This breed are incredibly fast sprinters. OK, enough of this fun and frivolity. Head back home. They both managed to get their entire undersides completed coated in wet road dirt. I was pretty well coated in mud as well since I carried Roxie home. Got them home, cleaned their underside and called it an intense 10 minute workout.

1 comment:

daisy said...

I remember an earlier dog in T's life, Clancy, an Irish setter, I knew nothing about dogs, and decided how nice it would be to take him for a walk, WRONG, Clancy took me for a run, it toook awhile to get my arms back in the sockets. When you describe yourself setting out with snaeakers and leashes etc, I visualized the sneakers on the dogs, Daisy